Saturday, September 17, 2022

Tupolev 2, #2

My second 1/72 Tupolev 2, molds done by the East German company VEB Plasticart in 1977. Not state of the art even then: offbeat construction, difficult fit, weird plastic, chunky detail. Still, it looks like a Tu-2, which is pretty much what matters to me. I really like red stars, and thought the black-green camo would make them pop. The kit came with white-outlined red star decals. The red needed to abut the green and black to get the maximum impact, so I made some stencils and spray-painted solid-red stars. First photo is green-painted plane masked with local Play-Doh before spraying on the black. As usual, craftstore acrylics, hardware store spraypaint, and dry pastels.





Saturday, August 27, 2022

1992 Children

        Recently recovered photo of two of my kids and two neighbor's kids from about 30 years ago:



Thursday, August 18, 2022

Monet's Dinghy

This scratchbuilt boat was inspired by this painting by Claude Monet. A copy hangs in our house.
 

Much of the raw material was locally-sourced stuff that I already had: bamboo skewers, wood stain, hors d'oeuvre toothpicks, drapery cloth, wire. The rest came from the scrap-box. The only things I had to buy were two sheets of balsa wood and Krazyglue for less than $4. I scaled the model such that the hull was the length of a balsa sheet, or 2.33 times bigger than the hull in my A4-size printout. Then it was simply a matter of multiplying the sizes of the boat's pieces in the painting by 2.33 to have the model retain the same proportions. Colors are craftstore acrylics and wood stain. 





Progress shots start with free-download paper-model boat patterns I used to get a good likeness of the hull.







The nearest thing to plans I used on this project:



Saturday, July 9, 2022

Oseberg

Billings' Boats Oseberg done. Nice to work on a relatively large-scale ship (1/25) with a simple sailplan and minimal rigging. Local woodstain and sail fabric.










Wednesday, June 1, 2022

FB-111, 1980s

Monogram's 1/72 EF-111 kit, molds from 2001. Modified a bit to be an FB-111, because I prefer the FB's color scheme.  As usual, minimal decals, handpainted acrylics,  and dry pastels.

                                        





Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Batch

Some recent planes, all done with dry pastels over handpainted craftstore acrylics. Their soft-edged modulated finishes make for a soothing ensemble: 


Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Turkeyfish

 Another turkey bone confection finished. Inspired by lionfish, although that may not be discernable.