For any catechists out there, this is the letter I send home with each student after the first class. If you have anything similar, I'd like you post it in the comments.
September 9, 2009
Dear Parents of 6th Grade Religious Ed Students,
My name is Christian LeBlanc. Mrs. Jones and I will be teaching your children this year.
Here is some basic information for the class:
1. You are invited to come to class anytime. Parents who do come tend to enjoy it, and every additional adult in the room improves the learning environment.
2. Most of classtime is spent discussing that week's chapter in the textbook. Since we don't read from the book during class or refer to it directly very often, please have your child read the appropriate chapter each week before class. They'll be told each week what next week's chapter will be. More important is that students be prepared, pay attention, participate, and do not interfere with other students' learning.
3. We take attendance; please have your child come to class regularly and on time.
4. Encourage your child to contribute to discussions, and to ask questions fearlessly. At the start of each class students can ask any question about God/ religion/ Christianity/ Catholicism/ current events/ encounters with non-Catholics/ you name it. We want the kids to get answers to their faith questions (last year we had over 100), and if they don't ask 'em we can't answer 'em!
5. No sitting in the back row! Our class isn't so big that anyone has to sit in the back. Encourage your child to sit in the front row; it's the easiest place to learn, and harder to be bored there.
6. You can contact me at 230-5473 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or comments.
Thanks for your support,